Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Year in the Making...My First Free Knitting Pattern

Don't get excited, kids, it's not much. However elementary I'm proud of the results. Though I've been knitting for three years, I tend to stick closely to the pattern. It's only been in the last couple of months that I've become more adventurous. (If you are patient with my slow blog posting, I have two hat patterns and a mitten pattern for you, too!)

I like hats, but I like wearing a ponytail to work. I get up at 4 am every morning, and styling my hair is not the first thing on my mind. So I prefer warm headbands that make my ears all toasty warm but don't uncomfortably crush the ponytail. (However, I will be knitting myself a hat this winter. It's darn cold at the train station in the morning!)

Fleece Artist Winter Headband


Yarn: A small amount of Fleece Artist Mo doubled with Fleece Artist Blue Face Leicester (These were leftover from a mitten kit. I no longer have the yarn band, so I'm not exactly sure of the colorway. Looking at the Web page, it might be Cosmic Dawn)
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Started: 12/2006
Finished: 12/2007

Pattern:
Cast on 20 stitches (or whatever number makes it wide enough to cover your ears)
Row 1 (RS): *K2, P3* repeat 4 times
Row 2 (WS): *K3, P2* repeat 4 times
Repeat these two rows until headband fits snugly around your head. End on WS row
Bind off stitches
Sew cast on and bind off edges together and weave in ends.


See! I told you it was elementary! I bet you could use any yarn of a similar weight, and the pattern would turn out great. I'd recommend natural fibers though. (Let's just say the freezing wind blowing through the acrylic headband I used previously was a little too much to bear!) The Fleece Artist yarn is dreamy. It's very soft and very warm, and I love the fuzziness!

I wear this headband with the matching mittens. I'll show you them tomorrow...




**Photo Copyright 2007 Serena M. Agusto-Cox**

9 comments:

Serena said...

She's getting all crafty over here. LOL Who knew you were so talented?! O wait, me. When you gonna sell these items on ebay? or town fairs?

Anna said...

That'll never happen. You know how many things you'd have to knit to sell at a fair? I don't have the time or the motivation to do that.

And then I'd be all sad like that woman at the Germantown Oktoberfest sitting there with a huge pile of scarves...and no takers. :(

Serena said...

LOL i'm sure someone bought some...lol beside if you do that on ebay then you wouldn't have to be sad! there would be tons of buyers all over the world!

Bethany said...

Awesome..............you are published!!! I hope you and yours have wonderful holiday and a great New Years!
Though, now i am sad for the poor woman at the fair.

Dawn said...

Awesome Anna! I look foward to the other patterns as well! I'm still stuck to patterns...tho I usually change up sock ones to fit how I like things.

Thinking about that poor scarf lady made me sad too! :( heck, I don't even have yard sales cause I hate selling period.

Merry Christmas Jingle Jangle too if I don't tell ya before then!! :)

Serena said...

I would have bought something from her if I had any money!

Anna said...

Glad you all like the pattern. I really enjoyed going on my own beyond basic garter stitch scarves!

I feel like I should've bought something from that woman, but I was short on cash and I really have no use for Fun Fur scarves myself.

Rachel said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on sharing your first pattern, Anna! :)