Sunday, August 10, 2008

Parade of Hats and Mittens: Part Two: Away From Utopia

Hey, everyone! It's my buddy Serena's birthday!! Go to Savvy Verse and Wit to wish her a happy day! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my "old" friend! :)

********************************************************************
As promised, here's round two of the hats and mittens/gloves I knit last winter. These also were donated to my church's winter clothing drive for the homeless. I had a blast trying out different patterns...well after I got sick of knitting Utopia Cable Hats. (Three was my limit!)


Mohana Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat

Pattern: Raleigh Hills Hat by Rilana Riley-Munson
Yarn: Schachenmayer Nomotta Mohana (2 balls, color 98)
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Modifications: None

I didn't mind that the hat was seamed. The seam wasn't bulky. This yarn wasn't a great choice for cables, but you can see them up close. I just needed a pattern that would keep me from falling asleep.

2-At-a-Time Mohana Mittens

Pattern: Bev's THE Mitts by Beverly A. Qualheim
Yarn: Schachenmeyer Nomotta Mohana (2 balls, color 98)
Needles: U.S. 8 circular
Modifications: The only thing I did differently was knit them at the same time on one circular needle. I still knit them straight and seamed them up. There was some juggling involved with two balls of yarn, but the benefit was avoiding "second mitten syndrome."


Evergreen Twisted Rib Cap

Pattern: Twisted Watch Cap by Terri Lee Royea
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted (1 ball, color N24)
Needles: U.S. 6 circular
Modifications: I didn't knit a fold-up brim.









Evergreen Mittens

Pattern: Bev's THE Mitts by Beverly A. Qualheim
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted (2 balls, color N24)
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Modifications: I knit with the yarn doubled to make them warmer.

This wasn't the softest yarn I've ever used, but I think it'll hold up well and be warm.





Rusty Twisted Rib Cap

Pattern: Twisted Rib Watch Cap by Terri Lee Royea
Yarn: Muench Bergamo (2.5 balls, color 3907)
Needles: U.S. 6 circular
Modifications: I didn't knit a fold-up brim.

This yarn was interesting. It appeared to be a knitted tube. When knitting, it was easy to puncture (for lack of a better word) the yarn when trying to get under a stitch.

Rusty Fingerless Mitts

Pattern: I found this pattern a long time ago on a blog called LizKnitz; I haven't been able to locate the pattern or blog again.
Yarn: Muench Bergamo (2 balls, color 3907)
Needles: U.S. 8 DPNs
Modifications: None, but this was the first time I knit buttonholes (which serve as the thumb holes). I think they look sloppy. :(






Navy Nite Basketweave Hat

Pattern: Brother in Law Basket-Weave Hat by Kody May Ramotar
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted (1 ball, color N39)
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Modifications: I knit this on straight needles and seamed it up instead of using DPNs.

I really liked this pattern. It was quick and easy!


Navy Nite Sideways Gloves

Pattern: Sideways Gloves by Fahy Bygate (no longer online)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted (1 ball, color N39)
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Modifications: None that I remember. I fudged the seaming, but it looked halfway decent.

I love this pattern. Too bad it's no longer available online. The gloves look a little weird before seaming, and they look really small when not worn. Once you put them on, though, they look great!



Well, there you have it! All my finished knits have been posted. (Stepping back from computer to do a finally-I'm-so-relieved-I-caught-up-with-something happy dance!) Now if only I could finish that scarf that never ends!!



**Photos Copyright 2007 Serena M. Agusto-Cox**

6 comments:

Lady Blogger said...

These look fantastic Anna! I like the basket weave hat and matching gloves. Great work!

Serena said...

I love that blue hat myself, though I hate wearing winter hats.

What else are you going to post?? LOL You must be a busy bee!

Serena said...

by the way, pay back will bite you in November!

Anna said...

Thanks, guys!

Serena, I didn't do anything wrong. I'll admit that I'm old, too. LOL

Dawn said...

You sure do like seaming don't cha? LOL!! I'm going to send all of mine to you in the future! ;O)

Great projects Anna! You do great work! I'd never attempt gloves that are seamed. I bow to your greatness...

Anna said...

Thanks, Dawn. No need to bow. LOL Save that for when I finally knit a sweater! ;)