Monday, June 25, 2007

My Dream Writing Space

After reading "The Write Space" in the August 2007 issue of Writer's Digest, Serena encouraged readers of her blog, Savvy Verse & Wit, to describe their perfect writing space.

As the mother of an almost 7-year-old, it's hard for me to fathom having a place to jot down my thoughts in private. With the girl still attached to my hip (often literally), I can't even pee in private. When I'm in the shower, she'll sit on the toilet lid and read me a story (she's actually getting quite advanced in reading, of which I am proud!) or furiously blow into a harmonica until her cheeks turn red and threaten to explode because she believes a shower is not relaxing without some music. Most of the time it's cute, but after a stressful day of back-and-forth with clients, I want to hear nothing but the water, and I want to breathe in my mandarin-mango shampoo, letting the burdens slide down my shoulders and down the drain--all in peace and quiet.

My dream writing space would be something like that. A place where I could lose myself in a world I actually control.

My dream house would have a room used for writing and knitting. I'd have storage for yarn, bookshelves lining the walls, an old-fashioned roll-top desk, a computer desk, and plenty of shelves to store my writing paraphernalia. But there are two major requirements for my writing space: a window seat with a view of mountains or water (depending on where I decide my dream home will be) and a cushy chaise lounge. I'm on my rear at a computer all day at work, so I don't want to sit behind a desk at home. A chaise lounge also suits my paper-and-pen writing style and would make it easy for me to type up manuscripts on a laptop as well.

I'd want a Bose radio, a docking station for my iPod, and some of those cool Bose noise-canceling headphones. But no TV. Music sometimes provides inspiration, but I know from my current writing setup that I get too involved in cooking shows and never get any writing done.

The walls in my perfect writing space would be painted yellow with white trim. The curtains would be silky and a different shade of yellow. I'd want daisies and other flowers in the room (artificial, mainly because I tend to kill all forms of plant life). I want the room to look sunny, awake, and alive--especially when I'm dreary, sleepy, and feeling nearly dead.

As for my storage shelves, bookshelves, and desks, mahogany or cherry wood would be great. I don't like computer desks that look like an office setup. I want something simple, with smooth lines. I don't have any particular brands or models in mind; I'd know when I see it. If money were no object, I'd shop Ethan Allan, Pottery Barn, or Bombay Company. The desk chair wouldn't be the typical swivel kind. Just a big stuffed, cushy chair with matching wood accents. (The only requirement is that it be soft and fit the desk.)

I just wonder how I'd get enough privacy to actually enjoy my dream writing space. I guess the dream house would have to have a special space designed by and for The Girl to keep her occupied--an art studio or game room, perhaps.

8 comments:

Serena said...

And all I suggested was a dream writing space, not dream house! LOL Sounds like a bright room to be in...sounds nice and cushy...can I come try out the chair?

Anna said...

Well the dream space is part of the dream house...of course.

After my bad luck with computer chairs, I'm not sure I want to share the cushy one. LOL

Serena said...

WAH! I wanna try out the cushy chair!

Anna said...

Okay, okay, you can sit on it for a minute. But just one minute!

Seradee said...

Sounds great Anna. I just wish for any old spot that would actually grab the thoughts I know I have deep down there somewhere and force me to put them onto paper (or into a computer!). I give you and Serena a lot of credit for the amount of writing you both do -- you two are WAY above me!!

Anna said...

The sad thing is I don't do enough writing. LOL

Cari said...

Sounds lovely...

Anna said...

Thanks!