Saturday, August 9, 2008

Parade of Hats and Mittens: Part One: A Trip to Utopia

Remember all those unposted knitting projects I've mentioned? The ones I finished more than six months ago, donated to my church's winter clothing drive for the homeless, and never got around to showing the pictures? I bet you never thought this day would come, but indeed it has.

Sympathie Utopia Hat

Pattern: Utopia Cable Hat by SmarieK
Yarn: Filatura Di Crosa Sympathie (1 ball, color 754)
Needles: US 8 DPNs
Modifications: None that I remember. I remember that I didn't check my gauge (guess I haven't learned my lesson), and this one was a bit tight. I blocked it to within an inch of its existence and that helped tremendously. I'm sure it fit someone just fine (and kept them warm, too).

I'm not a big fan of this yarn. The stitch definition is pretty good, but it was slightly itchy for my taste. Then again, I have sensitive skin.




Sympathie Mittens

Pattern: Bev's THE Mitts by Beverly A. Qualheim
Yarn: Filatura Di Crosa Sympathie (2 balls, color 754)
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Modifications: I knit with two strands of the yarn to make them warmer.

I love this mitten pattern! I know a lot of people don't like seaming, but I sort of enjoy it. And I've never found the seams to be bulky.

Mohana Utopia Hat

Pattern: Utopia Cable Hat by SmarieK
Yarn: Schachenmayer Nomotta Mohana (1.5 balls, color 98)
Needles: U.S. 8 DPNs
Modifications: None that I remember. This one fit great.









Mohana Mittens

Pattern: Bev's THE Mitts by Beverly A. Qualheim
Yarn: Schachenmayer Nomotta Mohana
Needles: U.S. 8 straights
Modifications: I knit with the yarn doubled to make them warmer.

I love this yarn. It is so soft and fuzzy!






Navy Utopia Hat

Pattern: Utopia Cable Hat by SmarieK
Yarn: Baruffa 7 Settembre (1 ball, color 1823)
Needles: U.S. 8 DPNs
Modifications: None that I remember. This one had to be blocked a lot as well. (Nope, didn't learn any lessons!)








Dashing

Pattern: Dashing by Cheryl Niamath from Knitty's Spring 2007 issue
Yarn: Baruffa 7 Settembre (2 balls, color 1823)
Needles: U.S. 8 DPNs
Modifications: I made them longer to keep more of the arm warm under a winter jacket. I also neglected to read the pattern completely before knitting (will I ever learn?) so the cable goes in the same direction on both. Only a minor error, thank goodness!


Stay tuned for Parade of Hats and Mittens: Part Two tomorrow! I'm on a roll!



**Photos Copyright 2007 Serena M. Agusto-Cox**

5 comments:

Dawn said...

You really enjoy seaming huh?? LOL! Now that could be $$ in your pocket Missy, for people like me who'd rather avoid it forever and ever!!

I love all your projects, you sure spread some warmth with those I'm sure. :)

Serena said...

I remember all of these!

Anna said...

Well, I don't think I'd enjoy seaming for other people. At least I can ignore my own mistakes! LOL

Serena, I'd hope you remember them! You took all the photos!

Anonymous said...

Nice stuff! I really like the long gloves (even if there is a mistake). That's a great idea to stay warm.

Anna said...

Thanks! They were quite warm!