We're at the start of hour 13. The Girl is doing pretty good; she's read 7 books so far. She's been taking a lot of breaks, but hey, she's 8. Right now she's playing Mario baseball on the Wii (she keeps telling us she's playing "hardcore," and I'm not sure where she learned that word LOL), the men are out getting pizza, and Serena is lounging on the couch reading.
I'm not reading as fast as I'd like, but I'm having lots of fun. I'm about halfway through The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and I at least hope to finish that book before I crash. I pulled out 10 books from which to choose, but I knew I'd be lucky to get through 1. But I'm fine with that since my only goal was to enjoy the day.
Anyway, I thought I'd participate in the Mid-Event Survey, so here goes:
1. What are you reading right now?
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's really good, and I wish I was reading as fast as I normally do on the train.
2. How many books have you read so far?
Um...I finished Coraline with The Girl this morning. Guernsey is my second book for the day. Let's hope I actually finish it.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I just want to finish the book I'm reading now. I have a whole stack of great-sounding books that I won't get to.
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
Not really. Just had to make sure hubby was willing to take care of the household chores. So far, so good. :)
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Well, The Girl is an interruption, but she's not too bad. She'll read a book, then go play for a bit, then come back. The men are chatting, but it's not so bad. The biggest distraction was Serena popping Twilight into the DVD player to entertain The Girl. I've seen the movie 4 times and I thought I could block it out and read, but I wasn't that strong. LOL
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
That it's so hard to stay focused. But I figured it would be a challenge with a kid in the house.
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
Not at this point. I'm having a great time.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
Spend more time reading and unplug the DVD player.
9. Are you getting tired yet?
Um...I haven't had a single weekend nap. I did doze off for about 30 seconds, but woke myself up with a snore. That cracked Serena up. But I find that checking out the hourly updates and blogging here and there gets me going again.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
Really, I don't think I'm qualified to offer advice since I'm a first-timer and I'm still on book 2. LOL But I will say having fun is the most important.
Not sure when the next update will come, but if I fall asleep, I'll be sure to post a wrap up when everything's said and done.
For those of you in the midst of the read-a-thon, I hope you're having a good time and making good progress toward your goal! And for those of you cheering us on, thanks so much!