Thursday, August 6, 2009

July in Review

July wasn't my best reading month, but that's because I went on two vacations and didn't take advantage of the extra reading time. I read 8 books last month, one less than June, bringing my total so far this year to 69. I figure I still have time to reach my goal of 100, and if I don't...well, if I meet my goal of reviewing every book I read this year, I'll be happy. :)

Here's my list for the month, and you can click the links to read my reviews:

Annie's Ghosts by Steve Luxenberg
Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa
East Garrison by G.M. Weger
The Wave by Todd Strasser
A Hatful of Cherries by FĂ©lix Calvino
Our Longest Days by Sandra Koa Wing (editor)
Gray Apocalypse by James Murdoch
The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst



My monthly totals might not be where I'd like them (life's too short to read too few books!), but my progress on the WWII reading challenge at War Through the Generations has exceeded my expectations. Officially, participants have to read 5 books to complete the challenge, but since there are so many WWII-related books I want to read, I never set a numerical goal.

Here's what I've read for the challenge so far:

1. 10 Days: Anne Frank by David Colbert
2. Reading by Lightning by Joan Thomas
3. The Holocaust: The Nazis Seize Power, 1933-1941 by Stuart A. Kallen
4. Keeping Hannah Waiting by Dave Clarke
5. An Obsolete Honor by Helena P. Schrader
6. Coventry by Helen Humphreys
7. Memory by Philippe Grimbert
8. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
9. A Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal
10. Bloody Good by Georgia Evans
11. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
12. Children of the Flames by Lucette Matalon Lagnado and Sheila Cohn Dekel
13. The Seventh Well by Fred Wander
14. T4 by Ann Clare LeZotte
15. The Wave by Todd Strasser
16. The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst
17. Our Longest Days by Sandra Koa Wing (editor)

So tell, me...how many books did you read last month? Are you meeting all your reading goals?

19 comments:

Serena said...

You are way ahead of me on the WWII challenge, but I did meet my goal of reading five books.

Lezlie said...

Looks like a good month to me!

Lezlie

Julie P. said...

I think you still had a pretty good month! I used to think I read more in the summer, but now I'm not so sure. Seems like I'm busier with both kids at home!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

You have some pretty heavy books there. Maybe they should count double!!!

Sandy Nawrot said...

I had no goals or expectations of what I would be reading...I've never kept track before I started blogging! Apparently summer is good for me, despite the kids being underfoot. I reviewed 12 in July, which I think is a record for me. August is looking like maybe 10. I guess I'd be happy if I hit 100 for the year. These 40 and 50 disc audios are dragging me down!

Jo-Jo said...

Looks to me like you had a pretty good month...I don't think you will have a problem hitting your goal of 100.

Blodeuedd said...

I just got up to 50 so good year for me, as long as I reach 75 I am more than happy

Alyce said...

Good job on your reading! July was one of those months when I didn't read as much too. You're doing awesome on the WWII challenge!

Unknown said...

8 is not bad at all, especially considering that you had two vacations. I usually read fewer books when I'm away than when I'm home. What is impressive is that you actually do review every book you read. I think that's awesome.

The Reading Momster said...

**gasp**! with 2 Vacations , u were still able to read 8!!
i think i read 4

Becca said...

Goodness! With 2 vacations you read 8 books. With none, I read 7. Geez! :)

Bella Foxx said...

July was actually my best month so far this year with 10 read. I don't think I'll make my goal of 100 but probably I will make my 50 book goal.

Marie Cloutier said...

that's plenty for one month! I read about a book a week so I don't even have that many read for July! :-)

Toni said...

Very impressive still Anna. Good job. Your books are very interesting and deeper.... Good luck.

Isabel said...

I am meeting my goals because I hibernate in the summer. It's too hot in the Deep South. My reading will drop in October.

Darlene said...

You did awesome considering how busy you've been Anna. I still need to get my wrap up posted.

Book Escape said...

I want to read 100 this year, too. I think I'll make because I'm somewhere in the 70s. It's all those easy YA novels that really up the totals!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

It doesn't look like you'll have a problem reaching your goals for the year ... and, wow! your progress on War Thru the Generations is fantastic! I'm woefully behind on this one, but think I'll make my 5-book minimum (we have until the end of 2009, right!?!)

Anna said...

Thanks everyone! If only I spent less time reading WWII books and more time updating the challenge blog...LOL!