Monday, March 15, 2010

'By the Seaside with Sanditon,' a Celebration of Jane Austen's Last Novel at Austenprose

Laurel Ann from Austenprose is hosting "By the seaside with Sanditon" this week.  Sanditon, Jane Austen's last, unfinished novel, is one of the books I chose for the Jane Austen Challenge, so I thought this week-long event was the perfect excuse to read it.

Sanditon is a very short book, with a cast of interesting characters gathered in an emerging seaside village.  There's plenty of time to grab a copy of the book and read along, and those of you without a copy at your fingertips can still follow the discussion (and even enter to win a copy).

Here's what Laurel Ann has planned:

Monday, March 15 -- Introduction to Sanditon and character list

Tuesday, March 16 -- Discussion of chapters 1-4 and review of The Watsons and Sandition (Naxos AudioBooks)

Wednesday, March 17 -- Julie of AustenOnly guest blogs about Regency-era seaside resorts

Thursday, March 18 -- Discussion of chapters 5-8, the history of the manuscript, and a discussion of Sir Edward Denham the seducer

Friday, March 20 -- Mandy N. guest blogs about Regency-era seaside fashions

Saturday, March 21 -- Discussion of chapters 9-12 and review of Sanditon (Hesperus Press)

Sunday, March 22 -- Event wrap up

Sanditon is my first foray into Austen's minor works, and I'll be reading the first four chapters tonight.  I hope some of you will join in the discussion at Austenprose, and at the very least, stay tuned for my review of Sanditon later this week.

5 comments:

Mystica said...

Am awaiting the review.

Laurel Ann (Austenprose) said...

Hi Anna, so glad you are joining in the Sanditon event this week at Austenprose. Thanks for the shoutout! I too look forward to your review and comments.

Serena said...

Can't wait to see what you all discover!

Dana said...

Woah, I haven't even heard about Sanditon until now - some Austen fan I am! Sounds good though, I'll be keeping an eye out for your review!

Anna said...

Mystica: It's posted!

Laurel Ann: You're very welcome. I had a great time learning more about this little known novel fragment.

Serena: I can't wait for you to read it, too!

Dana: Don't feel bad...I didn't know about it until a few months ago when I was making a list for the Jane Austen Challenge of the Austen works I haven't yet read.