Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mailbox Monday -- September 28 (or, Let's Pretend It's Monday)

I had one heck of an exhausting weekend, between helping The Girl with her science fair proposal and attending two book festivals (more on those later).  I missed my Sunday nap (boo-hoo), and yesterday was a stressful day at work that left me with a splitting headache by the time I got home.  I'm feeling much better today, thank goodness, but I was absent from the blogosphere for a few days and I'm really behind.

Today, I'm going to pretend it's Monday and post my mailbox.

Only one book this week:



The Company by K.J. Parker, which I received from Hachette.

From the back cover:

Hoping for a better life, five war veterans colonize an abandoned island.  They take with them everything they could possibly need -- food, clothes, tools, weapons, even wives.

The colonists feel sure that their friendship will keep them together.  But an unanticipated discovery shatters their dream and replaces it with a very different one.  Only then do they begin to realize that they've brought with them rather more than they bargained for.


One of them, it seems, has been hiding a terrible secret.  And when the truth begins to emerge, it soon becomes clear that the war is far from over.

I can't wait to read this one!

Thanks to Marcia from The Printed Page for hosting Mailbox Monday.  You can click the link to see what other bookworms received over the last week.


What books have you welcomed into your home recently?

10 comments:

Wendi said...

Sounds like a really interesting book. :)

Glad you are feeling better today!

Take care ~ Wendi

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! I'd rather pretend it's Friday, but I'll go along with you since this is your blog. I think my hubby and son would enjoy The Company.

DCMetroreader said...

The Company looks really good-- maybe kind of like Lord of the Flies? Is it a period piece or set in modern times?

Serena said...

We both got that book!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Oooh! That sounds awesome! I can't wait to hear more! Life has been getting in my way too. I hope to have it back under control again soon!

gautami tripathy said...

Good to see you feeling well.

This books sounds interesting!

Mondays: Musings/Readings/Mailbox

Blodeuedd said...

I got the title wrong first but now I get it. Sounds interesting

Staci said...

The cover is wild looking!!!!

Dawn said...

Glad you're feeling better Anna! Take care!!! :)

Anna said...

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better now that I'm having a lazy weekend.