Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Girl's Thoughts on Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman by Dav Pilkey

When I told The Girl about Julie's new Kid Konnection feature on Booking Mama on Saturdays, she was excited to participate.  It took us a few weeks, but here we are.

The Girl (age 9) borrowed Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman by Dav Pilkey from her teacher; apparently this book is a big hit in her 4th grade class.  She also went crazy buying some new and used Captain Underpants books during the recent family book-buying spree.  I will admit that when she brought this book home, I raised my eyebrows and said, "Wedgies, huh?"  And The Girl said, "Mom, they're funny, okay?" in that tone that means she's reading it and that's that. (Oh, how I dread the teenage years!) I haven't read this book, and I'm not sure I'll every pick up a Captain Underpants book except to stare at it quizzically, but she enjoys them.

She asked me to ask her some questions because she didn't feel like writing a review, so here goes:

Me:  Who's this Captain Underpants dude?

The Girl:  He's the principal, Mr. Krupp.  Harold and George used the 3-D Hipno Ring to hypnotize him.  Whenever anyone snaps their fingers, he turns into Captain Underpants.  Captain Underpants saves the day.  When anyone pours water on his head, he turns back into mean old Mr. Krupp, and he'll give them detention.

Me:  I see.  So, tell me what this book is about?

The Girl:  Harold and George used the ring to hypnotize their teacher, Ms. Ribble, so they can get better grades.  When they hypnotized her, they said not to turn into a wicked wedgie woman.  Then they heard a news report that the ring works different on girls, so it does the opposite of what you say.  So Ms. Ribble becomes the Wicked Wedgie Woman, and she gives people wedgies.

Me:  So how does Captain Underpants figure into this story?

The Girl:  He tries to stop the Wicked Wedgie Woman from taking over the world with her robots.

Me:  What was your favorite part of the book?

The Girl:  Can you include this quote?  [The Girl thrusts the book at me.]

Me:  Sure!

The Girl's favorite passage:
Before long, every cop in the city was hanging from a street sign.

"Call the National Guard!" screamed the Chief of Police.  "Call the Army -- call the Marines -- call a HAIRSTYLIST!"  (page 117)
Me:  Interesting.  You've made me slightly curious about this book.  What else did you like about it?

The Girl:  In the back of the book, there's an animation thing where you hold the book with your thumb and flip the page back and forth and it looks like Captain Underpants is really punching the robot.

Me:  Cool!  They don't make books like they used to, I guess.

The Girl:  In the old days, you mean?  Because you're old.

Me:  When did you grow a sense of humor?

The Girl:  [Smiles and does the "talk to the hand" movement.  I respond by rolling my eyes.]

Me:  So why do all the kids like Captain Underpants?  I'm assuming you enjoyed the book since you bought a bunch of them.

The Girl:  Yes, I did.  Because they are very, very, very, very [catches her breath] very, very funny.  Humorous.  An action-packed adventure.

Me:  Do you think grown-ups would like the books, too?  Would I like them?

The Girl:  No.  Because you don't like potty jokes that much.

Me:  Actually, I think potty jokes can sometimes be funny.  Would your father like this book?

The Girl:  No, he's an old grouch.

Me:  I hope you're just kidding.  At least he doesn't read our posts much.


So there you have it.  I actually think I don't want The Girl writing reviews because these conversations are pretty funny.  I hope you enjoy them, too.

To read other reviews for the latest Kid Konnection, visit Booking Mama.

Disclosure:  The Girl borrowed this book from her teacher.


and



© 2010, Anna Horner of Diary of an Eccentric. All Rights Reserved. Please do not copy or reproduce content without permission.

8 comments:

Julie P. said...

Thank The Girl for participating in Kid Konnection. The Girl did a fabulous review (and it's very entertaining.) She really made me laugh (a lot.) I have a feeling that she's going to keep you hopping. I'm scared to death for the teen-age years!!!

Unknown said...

This is my third grade son's favorite series too. I can relate to the eye-rolling over the title and characters.

I think the most difficult thing with these books is trying to type the titles onto library cards in the kids' library where I volunteer!

Suko said...

Fun and funny post! I know that many kids love these books. Great review by you and The Girl! :)

Serena said...

These sound like books I would have loved to read as a kid. Captain Underpants! LOL that just makes me laugh right there. Glad to see another fun interview. I can totally picture all of this...including the thrusting of the book and the talk to the hand! LOL

I hope we see more Captain Underpants reviews.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I got #1 hooked when he was four. You should read this series, Anna -- even just a few, as they are VERY clever. I mean, hello? Mz. Ribble. Say it out loud if you don't get it...

Lots of adult cleverness is in there with the potty humor.

bermudaonion said...

I can see why The Girl has gone Captain Underpants crazy - this book sounds like great fun!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I really like how you and The Girl are doing the Kid Konnection reviews as interviews/conversations. Very from-the-heart reactions!

Anna said...

Thanks for all of your comments. Glad you enjoyed the "interview." Looks like I may have to give this series a try.